Manuscript

Book of Kells: opening words of the Gospel of John

, , , , ,

  • The Book of Kells (also called the Book of Columba) is a group of illuminated manuscripts written in Latin, including the four Gospels of the New Testament.
  • It takes its name from the Abbey of Kells (founded by Saint Columba, Apostle to the Picts) which was its home for centuries.
  • Completed around the year 800, moved to Dublin in 1654.
  • Exposed in the library of Trinity College, Dublin.
Recommended hotels in Dublin ?